Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program
The Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute is the only program in New Jersey — and one of only a few in the nation — designed to help individuals recover after COVID-19 infection or treatment. Our outpatient program is tailored specifically to the needs of individuals who contracted COVID-19 and are no longer infected, but are experiencing ongoing post-COVID symptoms and side effects of COVID-19 treatment.
Conditions We Treat
Our program provides coordinated care for long-term complications of COVID-19 infection and treatment, including:
- Difficulty breathing, speaking or swallowing, possibly resulting from heart or lung problems
- Difficulty walking or performing self-care tasks
- Feelings of extreme tiredness and fatigue
- Weakness in the arms or legs
- Cognitive changes, such as problems with thinking, concentration and memory
- Mental health concerns, such as anxiety, depression or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
About Our Program
The Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program provides comprehensive treatment tailored to an individual’s unique needs and symptoms, promoting recovery after COVID-19 infection and treatment. Most patients participate for 3-6 months, but treatment may continue for a longer period of time depending on each patient’s needs.
Individuals can access the Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program in two ways:
- From the hospital. Individuals who have been hospitalized due to COVID-19 can be transferred from the inpatient unit to the outpatient Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program.
- From the community. Individuals who received a positive test for COVID-19, are no longer positive and are still experiencing symptoms or complications after infection are also eligible to participate in the outpatient program. Individuals may participate in the program with or without a history of hospitalization due to COVID-19.
Some health insurance plans may cover the Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program, but individuals should check with their health insurance provider to find out if program participation is covered. In addition, individuals may contact the Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program directly to see if their insurance carrier provides coverage for the program. Some health insurance plans may require a referral from a health care provider.
Post-COVID Rehabilitation Program team members include:
- Sara Cuccurullo, M.D., Clinical Professor and Chairman, Residency Program Director, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine, and Medical Director and Vice President, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
- Talya Fleming, M.D., Medical Director of the Aftercare Program and Stroke Recovery Program, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
- Leslie Bagay, M.D., Director of Cancer Rehabilitation, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist, and Assistant PM&R Residency Program Director, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
- Ofure Luke, M.D., Director of Consult Service-St. Peter’s University Hospital, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute